Sunday, June 14, 2009

Crochet kerchief


Crochet kerchief
I always am wearing bandannas and figured I would make my self up this kerchief. It's very simple to make and works up really quick. I will explain how I made it.

I used a G hook and 100% cotton worsted weight yarn.

You can customize this to your liking. my head is a bit larger and I made this to fit me. The ties are 20 SC long so just adjust the triangle portion to your desired sizing. I often make things by trying them on as i go.

To start, I made a foundation row SC of 85 stitches and then a chain of 21 stitches and I SC in 2nd ch from hook and each ch back to the end of the foundation row SC and connect w/a slip stitch (this creates the 20 stitch tie on the end and brings you back to where you can start the triangle).

The triangle portion is a simple dc, ch1, dc, ch1 in each ch1 space.... all the way across stoping to leave 20 stitches of your foundation row to make the other end of the tie. And reduce each row on each till it comes to a point and fasten off. Reduce the edges which ever way you like that is easier for you... The way I reduce is when at the end of the row I turn and insert the hook into the next ch1 space and draw up a loop then yo and draw through 2 loops on hook ch 3 and dc in next ch1 space then continue the row in the DC ch1, dc to the last 2 ch 1 spaces and I inset hook into next ch1 space yo, draw up loop and yo, draw through 2 loops on hook, insert hook into next ch1 space, yo, draw up loop, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook, yo draw through remaning 3 loops on hook.
Reduce how you like, the key is to reduce each side evenly.

If you cannot do a foundation row SC you can make a chain and start the project in the traditional way. Doing it the traditional way, once i have done my foundation chain then SC my way back to the start of the chain I would probably slip stitch my way back 20 stitches so I can start the body of the kerchief. I prefer to sl st my way back instead of cutting my yarn and creating more ends to try to work in. Just remember that if you start this with a traditional chain it won't have as much stretch. That is why I like the foundation row SC, it has a good amout of stretch for these sort of things.

The last photo shows a close up of the stitching.

Remember my "patterns" if you really want to call them that are merely guidelines to give you an idea of how to make it. I don't write actual patterns well and don't try.


No comments: