Friday, May 15, 2009

Foundation row SC or Chainless foundation

I have just discovered this and so wish I had found is sooner! This method combines your foundation chain and your 1st row all at the same time which makes a nice finished edge that is stretchy. I have started to use this for my next dish mat and it's wonderful! Normally I chain for as long as I think I need then start my work only to find that after I stitch into the chain it's no longer as long as when i started as the stitches pull it. Also it's tougher to stitch into the 1st chain. This method is an excelent substute and much easier to stitch. Now I can make a foundation row as long as I need and not have to rip it out because it shrinks!

Right handed instructions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIWXLSsYL7s

Left handed instruction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yzqXRVH7DI

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After you do the chainless foundation do you start your crochet project on the second row?
My name is Margie

GsCraftsNthings said...

I generally start it on the 2nd row if the 1st row is plain sc or some other stitch. I just work the chain-less foundation in a version of what ever stitch the 1st row will be.