Friday, March 4, 2011

Crochet pot handle cover

Crochet pot handle cover

These pot handle covers are really quick to crochet, take very little yarn and are worked in a continuous round without joining. Gauge is not important but when made and laid to be flat the wine one measures 2 inches across and mine is 5 inches long from top to bottom edge.

Hook size: G
Yarn: Peaches & creme or Sugar n' Cream
stitches: chain, single crochet, reverse single crochet (aka crab stitch)

Start by chaining 2 stitches 4 SC in 2nd chain from hook, 2sc in 1st sc made, 2sc in next sc and repeat until you have 16 sc around. 1sc in next sc until holder is desired length.

final round (this can be at any point). sc in next sc, ch8 (sc in next sc) 8 times. cut yarn and weave in ends. This is the loop you will use to hang it up. you don't have to have a loop if you don't want one.

for the trim I work them in a reverse SC.

Attach yarn at some point opposite the loop and ch1. work reverse sc (aka crab stitch) around the edge stitch for stitch up to the loop do a reverse sc into the last stitch. Starting on the opposite side of the loop as where you did your last reverse sc work 14 regular SC around the loop covering it, chain 1 and continue your reverse sc stitch starting in the next sc on the other side of the loop and work around to where you joined at your start. cut yarn and weave in ends. I like to work my very last reverse sc into the same stitch I joined my yarn into. You have to cross over the loop this way to be able to transition from reverse SC to regular SC. you can see in the 1st image how it crosses.

If you do not want to work the reverse sc you can simply crochet around the edge and over the loop and join as normal.

Reverse SC/crab stitch is my favorite way to put edgings on my kitchenware's. Creates a decorative yet simple and sturdy edging.

To work a reverse SC you insert your hook into stitch behind the one you just worked into, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook, repeat around. Reverse sc has you working backwards to the direction you normally crochet so for lefty's you will be working right to left and for righties you will be working left to right.



Here are some great video tutorials for reverse single crochet.

Left hand
Right hand



6 comments:

Kathleen said...

That's such a neat idea. Very clever. I love reverse crochet. I think it makes a pretty border on most things.

Artifax said...

What a clever, practical idea!

Anonymous said...

I'm just learning how to crochet, and I"m confused at the first part of your instruction. You say, "Start by chaining 2 stitches 4 SC in 2nd chain from hook"

Does that mean I just chain 2 stitches to start, and then make 4 sc from those first 2 chains? How can I add more sc stitches than there are chains? Please help!

GsCraftsNthings said...

HI, I hope you see this message as you posted as anonymous.

this is crochet in a continuous spiral without joining anywhere. You you make a chain of 2 and than you do not join but you put 4 single crochet stitches into your very 1st chain. What this does is it makes a rather tight and closed top for the holder. you than proceed to continue to place 2 single crochet stitches in each stitch you made till the desired stitch count is reached.

Thomas said...

Thanks for posting this pattern. I made one, and it was also my first time doing a crab stitch. Going back around when I got to the handle I did a crab stitch on the handle, and it came out quite nicely. I found the handle was a little big, so I made some modifications to your pattern, I'll give them now, since you came up with this I thought I would put this where you would get credit, since yours was the original.

Instead of 4 sc in the beginning, I did three, then, 2 sc in the stitches, until there were 12 sc around, then did 1 sc to the desired length. Did not put a hook in this, but did do the crab stitch. Came up with a pot handle cover that fits snug.

Thought I'd share! If you care to respond my email is kalispell.dude@yahoo.com.

GsCraftsNthings said...

I'm glad you liked it. And thank you for your notes! That's the beauty of these things, customizing them to be just perfect for you♥ I like the crab stitch (AKA backwards crochet) for my kitchen wares, I like the nice edging it gives yet not to lacy for heavy use kitchen stuff.