After finishing the mitts I have realized that a slight change in the pattern would bennifit the end result. The main pattern on the mitts seem to be pulled twards the thumb. I believe to solve this I intend to do 2 knit stitches on either side of the cable and leave 2 knit stitches between the main pattern and the thumb. this should even it out. they are pretty either way though.
So I finished another knit hat with the brim and it inspired me to make some fingerless gloves.
Now I should make the disclaimer 1st before i go on with this...
I have never knitted a glove or mitten for that matter. I am still shaky on knit pattern reading and don't even think I could pretend to write one!
I did not have a pattern. I used the same yarn I used for my last hat which was 100% merino superwash.
so I cat on 36 stitches using size 5 needles and devided them evenly. I did about 1 inch of 2x2 ribbing and started in on the pattern.
Half of the stitches are all stockinette for the bottom so that leaves just the back of the hand for the pattern.
the "pattern" for the strips are 3 stitches in seed stitch, k1, p1, 6 stitch cable (6 rows betwen twists), p1, k1, 3 stitches seed stitch.
for the thumb gusset i made one pearl stitch (m1p) and left one row of the stockinette stitch to seperate the thumb seed stitching and the back of the hand seed stitching.
Every other round I did either m1 or m1p depending on what the seed pattern called for. I did this on both sides of the gusset area. one row of plain seed stitch, one row of increases untill the thumb hole was large enough. When it was large enough I bound off all the thumb stitches and went back to the original stitch pattern making sure I had 36 stitches on the needles when the thumb was done. I continued with the pattern in the round till it was long enough and finished with a 2x2 ribbing at the bottom.